Updated April 2017
We have tried to make these terms and conditions as clear and straightforward as possible, however if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Book cover design services
- Damonza.com designs ebook covers and print book covers for a fee, 50% of which is paid when you place the order.
- In the case of our ebook cover design service, you are paying for the design of one complete ebook cover design, provided as a high-resolution jpeg file to use for your ebook. We also provide a 3D rendering of your book cover, which you may use for marketing purposes.
- In the case of our print cover design service, you are paying for the design of one complete paperback print cover, provided as a high-resolution print-ready PDF file, and laid out according to one template provided by CreateSpace, Ingram Spark or Lightning Source, or your own printing company. Note: The fee includes the provision of the final print-ready file for only one of those service providers. Any additional files will incur additional costs. Also, included in this service, is the corresponding ebook cover for the same book, supplied as a high-resolution jpeg file, as well as a 3D rendering of your book cover for marketing purposes.
- In order to design your cover, we purchase the license for royalty-free stock used specifically to design your cover. You may not use these images in any other way, other than as part of your book cover design.
The book cover design process
- We start off with the front cover or ebook cover. We provide at least 2 first drafts/concepts upfront.
- If you want changes to ONE of those drafts/concepts, we’ll do them to the best of our ability in a reasonable time, usually within 1 or 2 business days – sometimes a bit faster, sometime a bit slower. This depends on the nature of the changes and how busy we are at that time.
- We won’t make changes to both drafts. Those two different drafts will be made up of two different concepts. This is the time for you to make a decision on which concept you would like to move forward with. And that’s the one we will work with until you are happy (in most cases – see below).
- If you really don’t like those first drafts, then we will design at least one new draft option, although it may be more at our discretion, and the change process (for one concept) will go from there. If you’re still not happy with any of the drafts/concepts created so far, we may, at our sole discretion, decide to continue with at least one new draft/concept, or cancel the project and refund all fees you have already paid.
- Once you’ve decided to go with one of the concepts, and we have started finalizing or making changes to that draft, the earlier concepts are “off the table” and no longer available to be used. If you decide to continue with an earlier draft after it has been rejected, the later draft designs will be charged for at a separate fee of at least 50% of the value of the normal ebook cover design fee.
- Once you have selected a concept to move forward with, we will make as many changes as necessary for that cover, within reason. We want you to be happy with the final cover, but if we can see that no matter what changes we do, or if we just cannot do what you are looking for and it’s not going to be satisfactory, we reserve the right to cancel the project and refund all fees you have paid up to that point.
What are reasonable changes?
- We will do the following changes once the initial concept is approved:
- Changes that do not substantially alter the approved concept and,
- Are within the original brief and,
- Can be done through the use of existing stock imagery,
- Do not constitute a completely new cover design
- Usually these changes consist of tweaking certain individual elements of the cover, changing colors, moving elements, changing text placement and/or fonts, and resizing.
Approval and your license
- Once the ebook cover is approved, and if you have only ordered an ebook cover design, we will send you the invoice for any remaining fees owed. Once this paid, we will send you the final high-res ebook cover and 3D rendering, as well as any additional files you may have ordered upfront.
- Once this has been done, you are granted the exclusive license to use the final cover design artwork for your ebook cover and any associated marketing materials. You may not alter the cover design in any way, unless those alterations have been approved in writing by Damonza.com, or supplied by Damonza.com.
- You are not granted any rights to use any of the earlier drafts in any way whatsoever.
- Once you approve a cover, you agree that you are satisfied with it as it is, even if it includes errors or inconsistencies or any defects whatsoever. Damonza.com is not liable for any penalties, errors or losses of any kind that may arise from the use of your cover. Any changes made to the approved cover design after the approval will be charged at a separate fee (dependent on the nature of the changes).
Great, the front cover is done, now what about the print cover?
- Once the ebook cover/front cover is approved, we will start on the print/paperback cover. This will be made up of the already approved ebook cover (with minor changes, if necessary for printing), as well as the design of a spine and back cover. In order for us to start this part of the process, we require the following information:
- The final trim size
- The final page count
- All the text and other information you would like on the back cover
- The printing you are using (usually CreateSpace, Ingram Spark or Lightning Source)
- The paper color you are using
- If you are printing with Ingram Spark or Lightning Source, we also require your ISBN.
- If you are printing with anyone other than CreateSpace, Ingram Spark or Lightning Source, we will require you to provide us with a template from your printer.
- Please note that we require the final details above. If these details change after we have started with the layout of the print cover, there will be additional costs.
- We will send one print cover draft based on the above information, and will make reasonable changes until you are happy.
- Once the print cover is approved, we will send you an invoice for any outstanding fees, and once paid, we will send you the final high-resolution print ready file in the form of a CMYK PDF.
- You will be responsible for distributing this print ready file to your printer.
- You will be responsible for obtaining a printed proof of your final print cover.
- Damonza.com is not liable for any errors or losses of any kind that may arise from the printing of your cover.
- Once you approve a cover, you agree that you are satisfied with it as it is, even if it includes errors or inconsistencies or any defects whatsoever.
- Sometimes it just doesn’t work out. If we can see that we’re just not getting it right, whether it’s through numerous drafts, concepts or changes, or if there is a breakdown in communication, or for any other reason, Damonza.com reserves the right to cancel a project at any time and refund all fees paid up to that point.
- If the original brief changes in any way, we reserve the right to cancel the project immediately.
- If you want to cancel the project, we will provide a full refund of all fees paid up to that point, provided the following conditions are met:
- You have paid a deposit of at least 50% of the value of the project
- You have not selected a concept to move forward with (in other words, we are still in the initial drafts stage), or
- We have had some correspondence from you regarding your cover within 3 months prior to the cancellation
- If you wish to cancel the project after you have selected an initial draft, you agree to forfeit the cover design deposit already paid. Any other fees already paid (eg. Additional services) will be refunded.
- If you wish to cancel your project after the final ebook cover/front cover has been approved, you will forfeit 100% of the ebook cover design fee.
- In the case of any cancellation from any party, all designs already created by Damonza.com and sent to the client must be destroyed by the client. The client retains no rights to any designs whatsoever.
- All correspondence from and to Damonza.com will be via e-mail or the website Damonza.com. There are no exceptions.
- All client information and materials are considered confidential and only for use by Damonza.com to work on a project. Client information and project materials will not be given out or shared with any third party, unless otherwise requested by the client